- Alvogen to become 67% shareholder in Lotus; Lotus to use funds to acquire Alvogen’s Asian operation
- Combined regional group will have increased regional market reach and a broadened product portfolio
- Exclusive marketing rights for two high-value biopharmaceuticals for selective APAC markets are under negotiations between the parties
Following the above transaction, Alvogen and Lotus today announce that Lotus is using the proceeds of the share issue to acquire several of Alvogen's businesses in Asia. Exclusive distribution rights for two high-value biopharmaceuticals for selective Asian markets are under negotiations between the parties. Transaction value is approximately US$ 200 million.
The combination of Alvogen's strong geographic coverage in the US, Central and Eastern Europe and Asia with Lotus' strategically important foothold in the Taiwanese market and its growing US product pipeline is expected to generate significant opportunities to drive revenue growth, margin enhancement and create further value for the two companies. Both Alvogen and Lotus will benefit from the increased scale, portfolio and geographic reach.
Key Benefits of the Transaction
- Combined with Alvogen's October 2012 purchase of the South Korean company, Kunwha Pharmaceuticals, the partnership with Lotus will significantly strengthen Alvogen's position in the key Asia Pacific region with enhanced reach into Taiwan and China and a new market presence in Japan.
- Alvogen will gain access to high potency and cytotoxic oral formulation capacity through Lotus' FDA approved manufacturing facility, as well as securing broad experience in marketing and distribution in the region. Together, the companies will have manufacturing and product development capabilities in North America, Taiwan, South Korea, and Romania.
- Through Alvogen, Lotus will gain a sales and marketing network in more than 30 countries that will enhance its export opportunities as well as provide access to Alvogen's global pipeline for the Taiwanese market.
- Alvogen and Lotus will collaborate in the important US market, by developing more difficult to produce generic products.
Charles Lin, Chairman of Lotus, added "This partnership represents an exciting development for Alvogen and Lotus, both of which will benefit from increased scale, a larger portfolio and broader geographic reach. The new Group will represent compelling value for our shareholders, and creates a strong platform for growth in Asia Pacific and internationally.”
Commenting on the transaction, Mr. Robert Wessman, Chairman and CEO of Alvogen, said: "The proposed transactions between Alvogen and Lotus represent a highly exciting opportunity for both companies. These transactions will create a significantly enlarged group, which will enhance its market presence in Asia, with a broad product portfolio and international market reach. Alvogen’s investment in Lotus offers compelling value for Lotus' shareholders, providing the group with significant opportunities to drive revenue growth, enhance margins and create further value for the two companies.”
Both transactions are subject to shareholder and regulatory approvals, and closing is expected in the second quarter 2014.